This training programme is focused on innovation in health, so as to contribute to improve the development of different business ideas and new business creation, within the framework of methodologies and techniques for defining and validating business models such as Business Model Canvas, by Alexander Osterwalder and Customer Development, by Steve Blank.
With Innovation 4 Health, EUGLOH aims at equipping participants with the necessary tools and transversal skills needed to enter the business world, namely in the field of Health, such as an entrepreneurial mind-set, problem-solving, team spirit, creative and critical thinking, leadership and communication.
This activity is targeted at students willing to participate on an entrepreneurial journey! The proposed activity is opened to students from the 5 EUGLOH partner Universities and no background in economics or any related area is necessary.
Participants will be organized in teams, considering the diversity of cultures, backgrounds, areas and study levels, so as to enable a true multidisciplinary and intercultural experience.
Participation is eligible for 3 ECTS and a certificate of attendance will be issued to participants.
Proposed Schedule/Programme (CET)
Lectures (30 hours) + mentoring (3 hours) + asynchronous teamwork (48 hours):
- June 29: Introduction to the programme, participants match and group constitution + group work
- June 30: Entrepreneurship 101 + group work
- July 1: Customers, relations & channels + group work + 30 min individual mentoring session with health specialist
- July 2: Business Model Development in the Health field + group work + 30 min individual mentoring session with business specialist
- July 3: Customer development and validation + group work
- July 6: Viability & Feasibility + group work
- July 7: Business needs in the Health field + group work + 30 min individual mentoring session with health specialist
- July 8: Feedback & the Art of Pivoting + group work + 30 min individual mentoring session with business specialist
- July 9: Business Plan in the Health field + group work + 30 min individual mentoring session with health specialist
- July 10: Pitch Preparation + group work + 30 min individual mentoring session with business specialist
You can find a detailed schedule in the Downloads section.
Registration is open:
- For candidates with a business idea at: https://international.up.pt/event_registration/form/ev/43692af44bba09c8cebd737afd97a5ac
- For candidates without a business idea at: https://international.up.pt/event_registration/form/ev/b8791147e870680fcda52255fdd569d9
Registration deadline: 25th of June 2020
In case of questions please contact the EUGLOH Team@U.Porto: firstname.lastname@example.org
Goals and methods
The Innovation 4 Health intensive online programme (certified with 3 ECTS credits) took place from the 29th of June until the 10th of July 2020 and targeted Master and PhD students from EUGLOH partners, of all scientific areas (with or without a concrete business idea). Participants did not require any background in economics or related area.
Developed by experts in Health and Entrepreneurship (Faculty of Pharmacy and U.Porto Innovation – U.Porto’s Technology Transfer Office), this innovative programme focused on innovation in health. Aiming at contributing to improve the development of different business ideas and new business creation, the methodologies and techniques used for defining and validating business models were Business Model Canvas, by Alexander Osterwalder and Customer Development, by Steve Blank.
The Innovation 4 Health programme consisted in a true entrepreneurial journey and was totally in line with EUGLOH core domains as well as with Work Package 4’s goals. It allowed to prepare and equip participants with the necessary tools and transversal skills needed to enter the business world, namely in the field of Health, such as an entrepreneurial mind-set, problem-solving, team spirit, creative and critical thinking, leadership and communication.
Participants were organized in teams, and closely accompanied by mentors from 3 EUGLOH partners (U.Porto, LMU and UPSaclay), as well as from external experts in entrepreneurship and health as well representatives from UPTEC– U.Porto Science and Technology Park.
Results and evaluation
From a total of 24 selected participants, 8 students from 3 of the 5 EUGLOH partner universities and from 5 different nationalities (Portugal, Brazil, France, Iran and India) and different background areas undertook this intensive online training. Despite the short size of the class influenced by the high dropout rates traditionally associated to this type of intensive virtual programmes, it is relevant to highlight the positive and close interaction between professors, mentors and participants.
In addition, the results obtained in the satisfaction survey performed among the activity participants indicate that the Innovation for Health programme was recognisably useful for their personal, academic and/or professional lives, by improving their capacity for analyse and critically reflect on the addressed topics, which is totally in line with the goals of EUGLOH’s Work Package 4. Respondents also emphasized the suitability of the course’s content and methodologies, as well as the opportunity for deepening intercultural communication skills, which may need further improvement. Participants also valued the fact that the knowledge obtained during the training activity has practical applicability in real life and thanked the professors and mentors’ commitment, dedication and mentorship. Other comments given by participants showed the practical nature of Innovation for Health that enabled a good understanding of what is needed to create a business and how it requires planning, research and creativity.